[Pw_forum] using all cores for processing

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 16:11:26 CET 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 4:33 AM, siddheshwar chopra <sidhusai at gmail.com> wrote:
> For more information, I installed 5.2.1 setup for windows. And got the
> following error:
>
> Error while connecting to host, No connection could be made because the
> target machine actively refused it. (10061)
> Connect on sock (host=Matrix, port=8678) failed, exhaused all end points
> Unable to connect to 'Matrix:8678',
> sock error: Error = -1

this is a problem of your MPI configuration, or rather your firewall
blocking MPI message passing to remote machines. this needs to be
properly configured and you need to follow the MPI installation and
configuration instructions specific to the MPI package that you
installed.
have you followed the instructions given here?
http://rpm.lammps.org/qe4win.html

since you are running on your local machine only, try: mpiexec
-localonly 2 pw.x -in si.inp > si.out

also, it is *very* unlikely that you'll get any speedup from
hyperthreading, more likely the added processes will cause congestion
on the memory bus and slow you down.

axel.

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey at gmail.com  http://goo.gl/1wk0