[Pw_forum] Bands.x not ordering bands correctly

Henry J Seeley hseeley at uoregon.edu
Wed Jan 13 21:52:06 CET 2016

Hello everyone,

I'm using bands.x to assign eigenvalues to specific bands of PbS. I have
fairly large supercells (20-30 atoms), so my bands are dense with lots
of crossings. When I run bands.x it incorrectly assigns bands resulting
in erratic band diagrams (e.g., bands suddenly jump across the bandgap
to connect conduction and valence eigenvalues). What are the potential
causes of this error?

Perhaps I am not sampling my k-points densely enough; I have
approximately 10-15 points per sampling line. I plan on increasing this
density to 50 kpts per line, and will report back if this solves the
problem. I am somewhat in a rush to get these results though, so if
anyone has some insight it would be much appreciated.

Also, assuming there is a solution to this problem, is band.x capable of
sorting a 2D grid of kpoints into bands? I am interesting in generating
contour maps.

Thank you,
Hank Seeley
Chemistry PhD student