[Pw_forum] Convergence test on big model

Ari P Seitsonen Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi
Thu Feb 18 22:36:06 CET 2016

Dear Yangchuan Li,

   In principle the values of cut-off are fully transferable, for the same
kind of pseudo potential: As the highest Fourier components are required
due to more localised (ie fastly varying) electronic wave functions close
to the nuclei and there the changes going from one chemical environment to
a different one are small, in most cases the cut-off tested in one system
are indeed transferable (a reminder: using the same pseudo potential, so
the recommended values for the cut-off energies are not strictly element-
but even pseudo potential-specific).

   About the k points, rather the bigger the system, less k points: That is
"hidden" in the word "reciprocal" space. Please have a look in the
discussions on the back-folding of k points etc. The bottom line is, to
get the same kind of accuracy in systems of different sizes the distance
between the k points should be more or less the same (as they are used to
approximate an integral). And if the cell in real space gets bigger, the
Brillouin zone gets smaller: Thus less k points needed if the distance
between the points is kept the same.

   And the density depends on the kind of system: In general one needs more
points in metallic systems (in order to integrate the states close to the
Fermi level accurately) than in semi-conducting or insulating systems. But
if in the latter there are some more exotic bands somewhere needing higher
integration sampling in the reciprocal space, more k points are also
needed there. So shortly, no, one cannot give a general "preferred" number
of k points; also because that depends on the quantity one is looking at
(the structure converges faster than for example the phonon modes etc).

     Greetings from Sleepy Paris,

        apsi

   Ari Paavo Seitsonen / Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi / http://www.iki.fi/~apsi/
     Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS), Département de Chimie, Paris
     Mobile (F) : +33 789 37 24 25    (CH) : +41 79 71 90 935