[Pw_forum] Ru_atomic_calculation

Kai Trepte Kai.Trepte at chemie.tu-dresden.de
Tue Aug 9 11:18:19 CEST 2016

Hello everyone,

I'm trying right now to compute some atomic energies of different
elements. For that, I used pseudopotentials from
http://theossrv1.epfl.ch/Main/Pseudopotentials. For Ru I get a very
strange behaviour, as it does not converge at all and the absolute
magnetization over the course of the scf cycle is somewhere around 300.
For ever other element, the computation works just fine. Is it possible
that the pseudopotential file is incorrect?

My input looks as follows:

 &control
    calculation ='scf',
    restart_mode='from_scratch',
    prefix='test_Ru',
    nstep = 500,
    pseudo_dir='/projects/nano-10/data/trepte/pseudo',
    outdir='/scratch/trepte/test_Ru'
 /
 &system
    ibrav = 0
    nat = 1,
    ntyp = 1,
    ecutwfc = 200,
    nspin = 2
    starting_magnetization(1) = 0.8
    occupations = 'smearing'
    degauss = 1.0d-5
 /
 &electrons
    mixing_beta = 0.1,
    conv_thr = 1.0d-7
    electron_maxstep = 400
 /
ATOMIC_SPECIES
 Ru 101.07 Ru.pbe-spn-kjpaw_psl.0.3.0.UPF
CELL_PARAMETERS bohr
28.34590317 0.0 0.0
0.0 28.34590317 0.0
0.0 0.0 28.34590317