[Pw_forum] Cut-off and 6 core

Paolo Giannozzi p.giannozzi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 19:00:15 CEST 2015

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 3:28 PM, reyna mendez camacho <reyna129b at hotmail.com
> wrote:

> 1.-The specifications of the computer you recently installed QE, says:
> Processor: 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
> Cores number: 6
>
> My question is: in the .out file says:
>  Parallel version (MPI & OpenMP), running on      12 processor cores
>      Number of MPI processes:                 1
>      Threads/MPI process:                    12
>
> I do not understand why recognizes 12 cores?

because your software environment is set to run on 12 OpenMP threads with 1
MPI process: for instance, you have set something like  OMP_NUM_THREADS=12
and run "mpirun -np 1 ...".
QE doesn't take the initiative of running on 6 or 12 or 137 cores: it does
what it is instructed to do.

> , and is running on all cores or just one?

it is running as specified in the output.

Paolo

--
Paolo Giannozzi, Dept. Chemistry&Physics&Environment,
Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222