[Pw_forum] ESM implementation

Minoru Otani minoru.otani at aist.go.jp
Tue Oct 13 03:00:27 CEST 2015

Dear Niels,

Yes, I did not implement the boundary condition (iv) into QE. As contrary to other
boundary conditions (ii) and (iii), we need to introduce additional classical charge
distribution (such as the modified Poisson Boltzmann, eq. (A3) in the paper). To
solve this additional equation, we need to add another self-consistent procedure
inside the KS solver. It may harm for the total calculation time. This was the reason
why I did not implement the boundary condition (iv).

Regarding the Hartree energy, if we use the boundary condition (iv), we need to
modify the Hartree, Ewald, and Local potential energy part accordingly.

Best regards,
Minoru

 Minoru Otani
 Nanomaterials Research Institute (NRI),
 National Institute of Advanced Industrial
 Science and Technology (AIST)
 e-mail:minoru.otani at aist.go.jp
 Phone : +81-29-861-5202