[Pw_forum] How to create a supercell

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sun Oct 11 16:14:52 CEST 2015

Dear Sapna Bondwal,

pw.x (almost**) always describes systems that are periodic so if you
desire to approximately describe an isolated cluster you need to
surround it by some vacuum space so that periodically repeated images
interact as little as possible.

let's say you want to describe SiH4, let's say SiH bondlength is about
1.5 AA, so the molecule is about spherical with a diameter twice as
much, 3 AA... add 6-7 AA of vacuum to separate it from its periodic
image and you get ~20 a.u.: a SC cell of that size should be reasonable.

the easiest way to specify the coordinates is to choose ATOMIC_POSITIONS
in angstrom or bohr so you don't have to bother about rescaling them
when you test convergence w.r.t. cell size... something that you should
always do to make sure your cluster is really isolated.

**Once you are at ease with this simple calculations for isolated
molecules you can explore the
effect of the assume_isolated flag (there are various options that
correct for the spurious interactions among periodical images with
various degrees of sophistication)

stefano