[Pw_forum] Cohesive energy of bulk Iridium

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sat Oct 3 11:44:48 CEST 2015

dear Venkataramana Imandi
  nspin=2 + starting_magnetization/=0 should be ok for your case i think.

  the value of the starting magnetization should not be very important.
Its role is to break the up/down symmetry in the first iteration and
then the code should reach self consistency.
  Unless the system has many competing solutions with different
magnetizations the final scf value of the magnetization should be the same.
  The initial value may affect the number of iterations needed to reach
self-consistency but should not affect the final self consistent
results. You may want to explore this dependence if you plan to make
many calculations with different supercells to study defect or other
properties.
  Starting magnetization can be used to explore different magnetic
configurations (ferromagnetic, AFM, more complex configurations if many
inequivalent atoms/sites are present).
In bulk Iridium i think a simple FM solution should be enough.

best

stefano