[Pw_forum] Cohesive energy of bulk Iridium

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sat Oct 3 09:36:01 CEST 2015

nspin is used to define whether you are performing a
non magnetic (nspin=1,default), collinear magnetic (nspin=2) or
non-collinear/fully relativistic (nspin=4) calculation.

In the atomic case if you want to fix the total spin (the up/dw density
unbalance) you can use
the total_magnetization variable (there use to be a redundant
multiplicity variable but i think it has been suppressed).

In most cases you just run nspin=2 calculations specifying a non-zero
starting_magnetization to break the up/dw symmetry

stefano