[Pw_forum] bfgs optimization not going anywhere

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Tue Nov 24 14:30:46 CET 2015

Dear Matej (and all)

> As for DFT-D2, I admit I am a bit in the dark here. How 'wrong' is it? Or to
> put differently, is it more wrong that not using dispersion correction at
> all?

Regarding the dispersion correction(s) this is the Stephan Grimme's paper which indicates that DFT-D2 doubles the DFT-D3 interaction energy between
molecules and metal surfaces:

J. Chem. Phys. (2010) 132, 154104

In my experience of phthalocyanine/metal interactions (but if I remember well Ari has also performed calculations on porphyrin/phthalocyanine
molecules adsorbed on metal surfaces and he can add his own knowledge), adsorption geometries and energies are very different, so that the results are
also quite different. See for example this paper (Cu phthalocyanine interacting with Ag (100) with DFT-D2)

PRL 105, 115702 (2010)

And my paper (TiO phthalocyanine interacting with Ag (100) with vdW-DF)

J. Phys. Chem. C 2014, 118, 5255

And, yes, of course: if you use no dispersion correction you badly underestimate the interaction between the molecule and the surface...

2 more hints:

1) In the case of molecule/metal systems, ab initio functionals modeling long distance correlation between electrons should be (in my opinion)
preferred to semiempirical functional with add pairwise forces based on tabulations (or partial calculations) of C6 coefficients. There is a nice
perspective written by J. L. Bredas which addresses the issue

    Nature Nanotechnology
    8,
    230–231
    (2013)

2) Regarding lattice parameters, Ari is right in the case of vdwdf. But I've tried to simulate gold (bulk and) surfaces in contact with molecules by
using the reparametrized vdwdf-c09 functional: lattice parameter of gold is ok, and also molecule-surface interactions are expected to be improved
with respect to vdwdf!

> Also, if I change/switch off the dispersion correction, then I will have to
> re-optimize all already converged structures (metal, isolated molecules,
> adsorbed intermediates), right? Looks rather tedious

Yes, you should recalculate everything...:-(

HTH
Giuseppe

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 11:37:45 AM Matej Huš wrote:
> Thanks for very useful comments.
>
> Yes, vacuum region is indeed too low in this example (whoops, seems like
> I've attached an old input file). I also ran a calculation with 10 A of
> vacuum without any improvement. Open shell is unnecessary as it quickly
> converges to a closed shell solution. I've just wasted some CPU time with
> that.
>
> Ectuwfc, ecutrhc are large enough (converged). I believe K points should
> also not be the source of a problem.
>
> As for DFT-D2, I admit I am a bit in the dark here. How 'wrong' is it? Or to
> put differently, is it more wrong that not using dispersion correction at
> all? How about vdw-DF, how do I turn it on and does it perform better? Where
> can I find more important about that?
>
> Also, if I change/switch off the dispersion correction, then I will have to
> re-optimize all already converged structures (metal, isolated molecules,
> adsorbed intermediates), right? Looks rather tedious
>

> Matej

- Article premier - Les hommes naissent et demeurent
libres et ègaux en droits. Les distinctions sociales
ne peuvent être fondèes que sur l'utilitè commune
- Article 2 - Le but de toute association politique
est la conservation des droits naturels et
imprescriptibles de l'homme. Ces droits sont la libertè,
la propriètè, la sùretè et la rèsistance à l'oppression.

   Giuseppe Mattioli
   v. Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
   I 00015 - Monterotondo Stazione (RM), Italy
   Tel + 39 06 90672836 - Fax +39 06 90672316
   http://www.ism.cnr.it/english/staff/mattiolig
   ResearcherID: F-6308-2012