[Pw_forum] compile attempt with external BLAS and intel MKL (espresso-5.2.1)

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Tue Nov 10 10:38:27 CET 2015

On Monday, November 09, 2015 06:10:51 PM Andrew Downs wrote:

> LDFLAGS=--static
> -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.0.109/linux/mkl/include/
> -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.0.109/linux/mkl/include/intel64/l
> p64/
> BLAS_LIBS=/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.0.109/linux/mkl/lib/intel
> 64/libmkl_sequential.a -Wl,--end-group
> /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.0.109/linux/mkl/lib/intel64/libmkl_
> blacs_intelmpi_lp64.a -lpthread -lm
> LAPACK_LIBS=/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.0.109/linux/mkl/lib/int
> el64/libmkl_intel_lp64.a
> /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.0.109/linux/mkl/lib/intel64/libmkl_
> core.a
> SCALAPACK_LIBS=/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.0.109/linux/mkl/lib/
> intel64/libmkl_scalapack_lp64.a -Wl,--start-group
> FFT_LIBS=/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.0.109/linux/mkl/lib/intel6
> 4/libmkl_cdft_core.a

Hello,
this looks funny to me, because you have -Wl,--start-group in one variable and
-Wl,--end-group in another, and it does no look like the two got concatenated
in a meaningful way during compilation.

If you got the line from the intel mkl link lien advisor helper, then you do
not have to cut the line and put it here and there, it is better to put it in
BLAS_LIBS and leave LAPACK_LIBS and SCALAPACK_LIBS empty.

Also, your FFTW line does not seem to be correct, if you want to use MKL FFT
you have to use the proper interface. If your system system admin has already
compiled it, you can probably grab it from the /whatever/mkl/lib/intel64, it
is called libfftw3xf_intel.a. If it is not already compiled, you can copy the
directory /whatever/mkl/interfaces/fftw3xf/ to your home, move to it and
compile the library with
 make intel64

Furthermore, there is no point in putting all the -I/stuff/ in LDFLAGS: the
include directories go to IFLAGS (they are passed to the compiler, no to the
linker).

Finally, you are using the parallel MKL with IntelMPI, i.e. the version of MKL
that interfaces with the the Intel implementation of MPI libraries. Are you
sure your MPI wrapper uses the same implementation? (Answer: no, it would be
called mpiifort). From some googling around, it looks like Cray defaults to
MPICH2.

So, what you have to do is ditch the wrapper and link MPI manually. In order
to do that you go to https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-mkl-link-line-advisor and enter all your informations:
MKL 11.3
Linux
None
Intel Fortran
Intel 64
Static
LP64
Sequential
[x] Scalapack
MPICH2
And you copy the line:
 ${MKLROOT}/lib/intel64/libmkl_scalapack_lp64.a -Wl,--start-group ${MKLROOT}/
lib/intel64/libmkl_intel_lp64.a ${MKLROOT}/lib/intel64/libmkl_core.a $
{MKLROOT}/lib/intel64/libmkl_sequential.a -Wl,--end-group ${MKLROOT}/lib/
intel64/libmkl_blacs_intelmpi_lp64.a -lpthread -lm

Take care to READ THE NOTES! i.e. be sure that MKLROOT variable is define, and
eventually run
  source /whatever/mkl/bin/mklvars.sh intel64

Then after configuring you clean up BLAS_LIBS and LAPACK_LIBS and put the Link
Advisor line in SCALAPACK_LIBS.

The problem is that even after fixing everything up to here it may still not
work, because the ftn wrapper links MPI after MKL, while MKL scalapack
requires MPI. ANYWAY, WHAT'S ABOVE BEFORE GOING FURTHER, as it usually works.

If it does not work, because you get undefined references to mpi stupp: type
"ftn -show" to get the MPI linking line

Than run configure as normal, just to get a canvas make.sys, but then open
with a text editor and:
1. Put all the -I from the Link Advisor and from "ftn -show" in the IFLAGS
2. clean up BLAS_LIBS and LAPACK_LIBS
3. put the line from Link Advisor in SCALAPACK_LIBS
4. add all the libraries from "ftn -show" at the end of LIBS.
4b. to be extra safe you can add these libraries between --start-group and --
end-group in SCALAPACK_LIBS, but this is usually not necessary.
5. change MPIF90 from ftn to ifort
6. put the fftw3 library you have compiled in FFT_LIBS (ditch anything that
could be already there), eventually change -D__FFTW with -D__FFTW3 in DFLAGS.
In my case this becomes /home/whatever/fftw3xf/libfftw3xf_intel.a
7. "make pw.x" and hope you did not miss anything

HTH

--
Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto
IdR @ IMPMC -- CNRS & Université Paris 6