[Pw_forum] Query during VC-relax calculation

nirav msc nirav_physics85 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 6 15:37:42 CET 2015

Dear QE users and Developers,
I am finding the problem during the vc-relax calculation of my material. vc-relax calculation is going to hang after generating total energy for few number of iterations and then after no further progress is observed in output file of the calculation; while the output of "top" command shows the running of all the 4 processors (means no termination of the given job).

I did not get any error during the given job.  I am using 5.0.2 version of espresso and I am running my calculation by using below command
mpirun -np 4 pw.x -in FeNi.vcr.in> FeNi.vcr.out
Anyone kindly suggest the solution or suggestions for the same? Your help will be highly appreciated.

For your reference input file is given below.

&control
    calculation = 'vc-relax'
    restart_mode = 'from_scratch' ,    prefix='FeNi',
    outdir='/tmp/' ,
    pseudo_dir = '/usr/share/espresso/pseudo/',
    disk_io = 'default' ,
    verbosity = 'default' ,
    nstep=300
    etot_conv_thr=1.0E-5
    forc_conv_thr=1.0D-4
    iprint = 10
    tstress = .true. ,
    tprnfor = .true. ,
    max_seconds=120000
    dt=20
 /
 &system
   ibrav=0, nat=2, ntyp= 2,
    ecutwfc= 50, ecutrho=500
    occupations='smearing', smearing='m-v', degauss=0.01,
    nspin =2
    starting_magnetization(1)=0.1, starting_magnetization(2)=0.1
    lda_plus_u=.false.
 /
 &electrons
    diagonalization='david'