[Pw_forum] Problem in relaxing Si structure

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Tue May 5 11:09:31 CEST 2015

Dear Reza,
what does not converge? The single SCF step or the relax calculation?

Please not that you are not doing a relax calculation but a damped
dynamic one. If your damped dynamics are not damped enough it will never
converge.

Use ion_dynamics="bfgs" instead (which is the default, do not play with
parameters if the default ones work)

regards!

I also notice that you are using a smearing to integrate the Fermi
surface of Silicon, but Silicon is not a metal. If fore some mysterious
reason you want to use a smearing you may need more k-point, but the
calculation SCF should converge regardless.