[Pw_forum] projected density of states

William Parker wparker at anl.gov
Tue Mar 10 15:38:39 CET 2015

Dear Uri,

Since I am the responsible party for those data, I want to emphasize that the lack of smoothness in the ABINIT PDOS only shows my clumsiness with ABINIT, not any intrinsic difference.   The GPAW data is merely to compare how a different wave function and pseudopotential source compares in PDOS for the same system. Please do not read too much into the difference in smoothness.

Xiaochuan is right that its the broadening parameters making the difference here. In Quantum ESPRESSO, I know how to control the smoothing during the post processing (see: http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/Doc/INPUT_PROJWFC.html#degauss) whereas in ABINIT I do not.

My purpose in comparing those data was to see that I got the same basic outline in the PDOS between the two codes using the same pseudopotential and other parameters as close as I could get them.

--William

  William D. Parker              phone: +1 (630) 252-3388
  Argonne Scholar
  Argonne Leadership Computing Facility
  Building 240, Office 1-D.16
  Argonne National Laboratory