[Pw_forum] Clarification on Calculating U based on linear response

Joshua Davis davis101 at chemistry.msu.edu
Mon Mar 2 16:27:22 CET 2015

Dear QE Users

I want to know how to calculate U based on linear response
<http://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.71.035105>, but I
am having trouble understanding what occupation values to use from a
calculation for a response matrix.

I have fallowed the tutorials

http://media.quantum-espresso.org/santa_barbara_2009_07/slides-exercices/Handson_ldau.pdf

and

http://hjklol.mit.edu/content/calculating-hubbard-u

Do I use the Trace of the d-electron occupation matrix (like in the first
link) or am I to use sum of all the elements of the matrix (like in the
second link)?

Secondly when calculating U, if the atoms that require a U are not very
close to each other, can you get away with not calculating the off-diagonal
response matrix elements and just invert the diagonal response matrix
elements directly?

I am using QE 5.1.
Thanks for any help
Joshua D. Davis