[Pw_forum] Changing Kinetic Energy cut-off

Giovanni Cantele giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Mon Jul 6 15:06:47 CEST 2015

Dear Elliot,

I don’t remember If I’ve ever used those pseudo potentials, especially that for nickel. However, they are ultrasoft, so
the convergence should be rather fast with respect to the cutoff.

In any case this is only a general indication, you need to make tests of the properties you want to compute, in at least one case.

Also consider that, for ultrasoft pseudo potentials, also the convergence with respect to ecutrho must be checked (for some elements
ecutrho=6*ecutwfc can be enough, for other you need even ecutrho=12*ecutwfc).

Giovanni

> On 06 Jul 2015, at 12:40, Elliot Menkah <elliotsmenkah at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Giovanni,
> I'm using working with CO adsorbing on Nickel and these are the PPs I'm
> using: Ni.pbe-nd-rrkjus.UPF
>           C.pbe-rrkjus.UPF
>           O.pbe-rrkjus.UPF
>
> Any more information with this added info would be appreciated.
> Thank you.
>
> Kind Regards
> Elliot.
>> Message: 4 Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 09:32:30 +0200 From: Giovanni Cantele
>> <giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it> Subject: Re: [Pw_forum] Changing
>> Kinetic Energy cut-off To: PWSCF Forum <pw_forum at pwscf.org>
>> could be: generally speaking, results should change not so much
>> because energy differences are known to converge quite rapidly with
>> respect to the cutoff . However, no answer could be given without more
>> details. Indeed, the change of the properties with respect to
>> ecutwfc/ecutrho strongly depends on the pseudo potential. So: which
>> elements you are dealing with? Which type of pseudo potentials? Norm
>> conserving or ultrasoft? In any case tests would be needed. Giovanni

> --
> Elliot S. Menkah
> Research Student - Computational Chemistry/ Computational Material Science
> Theoretical and Computational Chemistry
> Dept. of Chemistry
> Kwame Nkrumah UNiversity of Sci. and Tech.
> Kumasi
> Ghana
>
> Tel: +233 243-055-717
>
> Alt Email: elliotsmenkah at gmail.com
>           elliotsmenkah at hotmail.com

Giovanni Cantele, PhD
CNR-SPIN
c/o Dipartimento di Fisica
Universita' di Napoli "Federico II"
Complesso Universitario M. S. Angelo - Ed. 6
Via Cintia, I-80126, Napoli, Italy
e-mail: giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Phone: +39 081 676910
Skype contact: giocan74