[Pw_forum] band gap calculation

Boateng Isaac Wiafe boatengisaacwiafe at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 18:05:15 CET 2015

Dear All,
I am trying to calculate the band gap from a density of states (DOS) plot for LaFeO3 but haven't been successful.

Upon reading around I find out that the band gap is the energy difference between the Conduction band minimum and the Valence band maximum.
>From the DOS plot below, is it right for  me to use a metre rule (*though sounds funny*) to measure the difference between the peaks/ bands at the fermi level (E-Ef)?
Please direct me if there is a better way of calculating it.
Thanks

..
Isaac Wiafe Boateng |Graduate Student
Department of Chemistry, Theoretical and Computational Chem. Lab
KNUST, Kumasi - Ghana
+233 (0) 275 632712
Alt. e-mail: boatengisaacwiafe at gmail.com