[Pw_forum] Hubbard for oxygen

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Mon Feb 16 10:55:57 CET 2015

Dear Youssuf
Sorry, I do not fully understand your question, so I try to answer but it might not be what you expect.
in my experience it is better to use a supercell to avoid spurious interactions between periodically replicated images of the U-perturbed atom. The
response to the alpha perturbation is generally linear around the converged value (U_in=U_out), but when U_in is far from the converged value you may
found a weird behavior. If you have a good U_out value coming from a unit-cell calculation and you are looking for a converged value with respect to
the cell dimensions, then use such U_out value as U_in value in a supercell calculation (with k-points scaled to sample in the same, or very close way
the Brillouin zone). You should see a shift of the new U-out value, depending on the different interaction between perturbed atoms in PBC. Try again to
start with such U_out as U_in until you reach convergence (0.1 eV is generally enough for standard purposes). Then you may try again to extend the
supercell and to check if your last U_out value is stable in the new system...
HTH

Giuseppe

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 12:23:37 PM Youssef wrote:
> Dear Giuseppe,
>
> Thank you very much for your help, I was really stuck.
>
> I have another question about the linear response approach, in fact I
> successfully got the liner behavior of alpha=f(dn) and alpha=f(dn0) on
> conventional cell, with a very good value of U with respect to the
> literature, now when I move to supercell (2x2x2) the linearity is
> broken !!!
>
> Any idea about this issue?
>
> P.S: The convergence criterion's are well tested in addition to cell and
> atomic positions are relaxed

- Article premier - Les hommes naissent et demeurent
libres et ègaux en droits. Les distinctions sociales
ne peuvent être fondèes que sur l'utilitè commune
- Article 2 - Le but de toute association politique
est la conservation des droits naturels et
imprescriptibles de l'homme. Ces droits sont la libertè,
la propriètè, la sùretè et la rèsistance à l'oppression.

   Giuseppe Mattioli
   v. Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
   I 00015 - Monterotondo Stazione (RM)
   Tel + 39 06 90672836 - Fax +39 06 90672316
   http://www.ism.cnr.it/english/staff/mattiolig
   ResearcherID: F-6308-2012