[Pw_forum] Parallel scf calculations

Francesco Pelizza francesco.pelizza at strath.ac.uk
Sat Feb 14 13:18:30 CET 2015

Hello Dear Paolo and co-workers,

I am having some difficulties in obtaining output file when I run
parallel calculation with scf (pw.x).

Using OpenMPI, I used these commands:
mpirun -np 4 ~/Software/espresso-5.1/bin/pw.x -ni2 -nk2 -i pvdf.scf.in
 >pvdf.scf.out
mpirun -np 4 ~/Software/espresso-5.1/bin/pw.x -i pvdf.scf.in >pvdf.scf.out

and the calculation works but the problem is the output file, where
everything is written many times, the same number of times of the number
of processors i've been used, so if i use 4 processor the output file
data are written 4 times, if i use 3 processors the data are written in
the same output file 3 times and so on
and everything in the output file became FUZZY

grep or awk command give multiple data instead of only once per
simulation, it prints me many data as the same amount of processors i use

I had the same problem with the input file with this synthax:
mpirun -np 4 ~/Software/espresso-5.1/bin/pw.x -ni2 -nk2 < pvdf.scf.in
 >pvdf.scf.out

I solved the problem for the input file with this synthax:
mpirun -np 4 ~/Software/espresso-5.1/bin/pw.x -ni2 -nk2 -i pvdf.scf.in
 >pvdf.scf.out

This synthax doesn't solve the problem:
mpirun -np 4 ~/Software/espresso-5.1/bin/pw.x -ni2 -nk2 -i pvdf.scf.in
-o pvdf.scf.out

So now the input file is written only once (avoiding problems during the
reading), but i do not know how to solve the problem witht the output
file tha tis still written many times instead of only once

I am not finding anywhere a complete list of argument i can use in

Can you help me?

Best wishes

Sincerly

Francesco Pelizza