[Pw_forum] Is the phonon line-width gamma positive for a instable mode with negative freqency?

Sridhar Sadasivam sridhu88 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 15:23:43 CET 2015

Dear Ding-Fu,
As Nicki pointed out, omega(q,v) is imaginary for unstable modes. So
omega^2 is negative and hence lambda is negative.

If you look at the definition of electron-phonon matrix element g, it
contains a sqrt(omega(q,v)) in the denominator. Thus |g|^2 contains
omega(q,v) in the denominator. And this omega(q,v) cancels with the other
omega(q,v) in the formula for gamma. I think this is the reason, that gamma
is still positive for unstable modes.

Sridhar
Graduate Student
Purdue University