[Pw_forum] Is the phonon line-width gamma positive for a instable mode with negative freqency?

nicvok nicvok at freenet.de
Thu Feb 12 12:51:52 CET 2015

Dear Ding-Fu Shao,

you’re right that the eph-linewidth scales linearly with the ph frequency. But, IMO, there are no negative frequencies; they are imaginary and are displayed as negative numbers for simplicity. So gamma should be positive&real or complex for „negative“ frequencies. Maybe something strange in-routine is happening when one tries to calculate gamma for non-stable modes. Not sure, just guessing.

best regards Nicki

Nicki Frank Hinsche, Dr. rer. nat.
Institute of physics - Theoretical physics,
Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg,
Von-Seckendorff-Platz 1, Room 1.07
D-06120 Halle/Saale, Germany
Tel.: ++49 345 5525460