[Pw_forum] Charge accumulation and depletion

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Mon Dec 14 12:54:48 CET 2015

Dear Jaret

> 1) You said the spilling parameter has to be the same in all systems,

Not "the same", only "similar"

> in my case this is what I got:system A : spilling
> parameter=0.0031system B : spilling parameter=0.0021interface(A+B) :
> spilling parameter=0.0027,they are close but not the same, is this
> fine?

Yes, it is fine in my opinion. You can compare the values. If you want
to be very diligent you can add the charge spilt out by adding 0.31%,
0.27%, 0.21% to all the atoms (this is an arbitrary but wise choice)
of your three systems, respectively. However, I suppose that this will
not change your results very much so you can safely skip.

> 2) To get the charge accumulation and depletion, is there a formula
> to each on of them or what?I have calculate the charge difference of
> each atom like this :
> Charge diff.=Lowdin charge (atom in the interface)-Lowdin charge
> (atom in the separate system A(B))
> Using this, I've got positive and negative values, does the positive
> means accumulation and the negative means depletion?

The reply is yes to both questions, with only one further note:
three-dimensional deltarho maps help you to see if there is a
consistent interfacial charge accumulation, which is not always easy
to fit into the Lowdin partitioning. You might like to be inspired by
the theoretical results "just accepted" for publication (see also the
supporting information). The calculation has been applied to
oligothiophenes in contact with a silver surface.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.jpcc.5b08733

This information generally completes that contained in the Lowdin
analysis of accumulation and depletion of charge in single atoms.

HTH
Giuseppe