[Pw_forum] (no subject)

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Tue Dec 1 09:53:25 CET 2015

On Tuesday, December 01, 2015 08:02:12 AM Tariq Sami wrote:
> Dear all,     I have a (very basic) question regarding band structure
> calculations. One requires Fermi energy for band structure calculations but
> the are two different Fermi energies in thescf and nscf outputs. Can anyone
> please tell which one should i use and what's the basic difference?Thanks
> in advance

Dear Tariq,
it is the Fermi energy from the scf calculations that makes sense, especially
if the band calculation was not performed over a regular grid. This is because
the Fermi energy fixed by the condition of having a certain number of
electrons, and the condition can only be enforced properly if the k=points
form a suitable grid for integrating the Brillouin zone.

I think that if you use calculation="bands" instead of calculation="nscf" the
Fermi energy should not be printed on output at all, but I may be wrong.

kind regards

--
Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto
IdR @ IMPMC -- CNRS & Université Paris 6