[Pw_forum] segmentation fault

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 19:32:32 CEST 2015

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Vishal Gupta <vishal.gupta at iitrpr.ac.in> wrote:
> Sorry, I should've mentioned.
> I asked them but they said there might be something wrong with the QE input
> file. If that was the case, the file shouldn't have been running fine with 7
> processors but it is. Could there really be something wrong with the input
> file ?

sysadmins often say this, so they don't have to check it out, or when
they don't know what they are doing. if they *know* that there is
something wrong with the input, then they should at the very least
tell you what it is.

but i agree that if it works with less processors, it should work with
more. unless you are using some very unusual settings when launching
the job. more likely is that you are running out of memory on the
machine or are hitting a stack size limit or something similar. your
system manager(s) should be able to figure this out and/or advise you
how to run that you are using less memory, or with a hybrid MPI plus
OpenMP parallelization or whatever else is possible on the specific
machine.

in any case, it doesn't really sound like a QE problem.

axel.