[Pw_forum] requesting references for dielectric constant

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Aug 11 11:47:30 CEST 2015

the dielectric constant computed by phonon is the static
(high-frequency) dielectric constant of the system (also referred as
\epsilon_\infty in the literature). One need to combine it with phonon
results in order to compute \epsilon_0, the real static dielectric
constant including also ionic polarization. It is a GS property and its
computation is exact (as much or as little as your xc functional is :-) ).

As for epsilon... the code says
! Compute the complex macroscopic dielectric function,
! at the RPA level, neglecting local field effects.
! Eps is computed both on the real or immaginary axis
!
so RPA (i.e. no xc contributions to the response), no local fields (i.e.
only diagonal screening) but frequency dependence

computed from an explicit summation of dipole matrix elements and
transition energies.

stefano