[Pw_forum] keep getting negative frequencies in phonon calculation

David Foster davidfoster751 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 8 10:04:50 CEST 2015

I have encountered such a problem for my studies. Taking care of following points may help you:

1- see the stress and pressure for your crystal. its force should be very low.
2- use large cutoff for wfn and rho, even much larger than the converged values against energy/atom
or force/atom (1mRy/atom).
3- use very dense k-point grid in scf
4- use very low convergence threshold for scf (10^(-10) for example), and for phonon (10^(-14))
5- if after dynmat.x, the acoustic phonons are near to 1cm-1, it is good.
6- taking care of spin-magnetization.

Regards

David Foster

Ph.D. Student of Chemistry