[Pw_forum] question relating to crystal optimization

Mojtaba Mirseraji quantum.pwscf at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 15:31:43 CEST 2015

Dear Neeraj

I had this problem, but i could solve it. How?
you should decrease and increase the "a" and "c/a" simultaneously.
when the pressure matrix elements in output file of relaxation give
zero (or very near to zero like 0.01), you are in a successful
position. After this proceedure, you should decrease or increase the
"a" and then try relax a series of "c/a". you see minimmum energy of
your structure!
e.g.
a=7.4532187         c/a= 1.011345                       E= -260.893456
                                    1.012345
-260.893856
                                    1.013345
-260.894556
                                    1.014345
 -260.893556
a=7.4632187         c/a= 1.011345                       E= -260.893656
                                    1.012345
-260.894656
                                    1.013345
-260.895456
                                    1.014345
 -260.894156
after all these proceedures, you can find the minimmum energy
for example, in this mentioned example: a=7.4632187, c/a=1.013345 ,
E=-260.895456

Notice: first, zero the all pressure matrix element
            second, finding the minimum energy

Regards

Mojtaba Mirseraji
Ph.D. Candidate