[Pw_forum] TB09 metaGGA

Pascal BOULET pascal.boulet at univ-amu.fr
Fri Oct 31 15:17:46 CET 2014

Dear Juanjo,

As far as I know, metaGGAs are like GGAs for gaps: there are not accurate. For getting good gaps you have to  switch to hybrid functionals or GW formalism (not implemented in QE though). Depending on what you want to do, of course, and if you know the gap value you may try this: optimize with a standard GGA functional, run a nscf calculation and if the gap is not totally closed up then operate a rigid band shifting for further properties calculations. This is a bit brute force...

If you do not know the gap value: run a hybrid single point calculation on the GGA optimized structure.

As Yves said, there are not so many options...

Pascal

"Juanjo Meléndez" <melendez at unex.es> wrote:Dear Yves Thanks a lot for your comments. Unfortunately, I need a good description ofgaps to calculate optical absorption, and hybrid functionals are prohibitive forthe supercells that I need to use. That is why I started to try withmetaGGA. I will have a look to the paper you mention (which I did not know, by theway, thanks!) for more ideas... Take care Juanjo From: Yves Ferro Sent: Friday, October 31, 2014 10:20 AMTo: PWSCF Forum Subject: Re: [Pw_forum] TB09 metaGGA DearJuanjo,  From what I can remember:- the meta-GGA kinetic terms are notsaved in order to restart a nscf, at least up to the 5.0 version,- the tools for building meta-GGA PPs are not availablein QE.However, I'm not sure using meta-GGA pseudos will solveyour problem. Meta-GGA are known to have numerical instabilities such as theones you met, in particular when then electronic density drop to a very lowlevel as probably in your ionic crystal LiF, on the contrary with Si and C thatform covalent structures.
You can have a look to this paper you probablyknow:E.R. Johnson, JCP 131, 0341112009
I don't believe a cure to you problem exists at themoment, except by changing the functional to a GGA one.
Best regards,
Yves.