[Pw_forum] VC-Relax taking too long on a 4-atom system

Juanjo Meléndez melendez at unex.es
Wed Oct 22 16:50:47 CEST 2014

Hi Elliot

Assuming that you calibrated correctly both cutoff, ecutrho and the ZB
sampling, I have a few suggestions which could help you:

1) Are you sure about the value at "celldm(1)" and about your atomic
positions? Take into account that your are using the {alat} switch, which
means that you are providing cartesian coordinates in units of the lattice
parameter. You should also check the CELL_PARAMETERS card.

2) Change "nat=1" by "nat=4", because these are the atoms that your unit
cell actually contains.

3) Do not use "nosym=.true.", because your system has some symmetries that
may simplify the calculations.

4) Do not use "dipfield" for your calculations. See the input data
description for an explanation.

Hope these suggestions help you. Additionally, I would not use so many
cycles (10^6 is a lot!). Convergence should be achieved in less than (or
about) 100 cycles. If you force a high number of cycles, you will not
realize whether there is something wrong in your starting model...

Good luck

Juanjo

Juan J. Meléndez
Associate Professor
Department of Physics · University of Extremadura
Avda. de Elvas, s/n 06006 Badajoz (Spain)
Phone: +34 924 28 96 55
Fax: +34 924 28 96 51
Email: melendez at unex.es
Web: http://materiales.unex.es/miembros/personal/jj-melendez/Index.html