[Pw_forum] .q2r errror and .save file error

Garrett Meeks skdarated at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 06:02:14 CEST 2014

hello. I am a an undergraduate student doing research and am by no means an expert on phonon calculations and computational chemistry in general.

I am running phonon calculations and am having trouble with two different items specifically. One my .q2r won't read the force constants from the .dyn files. For some reason most of my .dyn files have lines in the force constant section with continuous zeros across several columns which I think is messing with the .q2r compiling it. I have yet to get a .phdos file which is my goal. Has anyone encountered this problem?? I don't know if it is a problem with the k-vector or k grid, the lattice parameters, or something else. It is also exporting .36 dyn files which I was told is a lot.

Secondly, recently I haven't been getting a .save file for any of the new calculations I have been trying. I believe that the .save is generated from the .ph file but I'm not sure. Either way I haven't changed any parameters since some previous test and it isn't exporting it.

If anyone has advice I would be greatly appreciated. I am also new to this forum.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Garrett Meeks. Undergraduate Student. University of Utah Materials Science and Engineering