[Pw_forum] Two problems with ph.x and nimage option

Andrea Dal Corso dalcorso at sissa.it
Wed Oct 8 10:11:14 CEST 2014

On Tue, 2014-10-07 at 15:29 -0700, Florian Altvater wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using QE 5.0.0 and am trying to do phonon calculations on the
> naphthalene crystal with the nimage option. I encounter two different
> problems:
>
> 1) When I use a k-point grid of 2x3x2 for the scf calculation I run the
> following commands:
>
>     aprun -n 192 pw.x -nimage 1 -npool 8 < scf.in <http://scf.in> > scf.out
>     aprun -n 1728 ph.x -nimage 9 -npool 8 < phG.in > phG.out
>     aprun -n 192 ph.x -nimage 1 -npool 8 < phGc.in > phGc.out
>
> phGc.in is the same file as phG.in with the additional parameter
> recover=.true.
> Looking at the output files (phG.out and out.[1-8]_0), everything seems
> fine. When I run the second phonon calculation to finish up, it ony
> recognizes that the first 11 modes have been done (they are in phG.out),
> but states for the other irreps "to be done". It then starts calculating
> the modes starting with representation 12 but then crashes with a davcio
> error. Apparently the davcio error could be related to a lot of things.
> But why doesn't ph.x recognize that all the irreps have already been
> calculated?

Please update to QE 5.1, version 5.0.0 is no more supported. As a
minimum it has to be updated to 5.0.3 to use images. The image
parallelization was very experimental in QE 5.0.0. It seems that the
files produced by the different images were not copied in the
tmp_dir/_ph0/{prefix}.phsave directory. Please also check that the
Image_example is working in your machine before running a big job.

HTH,

Andrea