[Pw_forum] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: parameteres of quantum dots

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Thu Nov 27 11:13:59 CET 2014

Dear Pablo

> I have read a
> few articles these two days and know I have things more clear. My last
> doubt is about The energy cutoff I have to choose. The total energy of
> my system is about 340000 ry. The question is: Shall i used a energy
> cutoff of 300.0 ry or so?

You still have a vague idea of what is a plane wave basis set for ab initio calculations... :-)
The brute answer to your question is: increase separately ecutwfc and ecutrho until a given parameter of your calculation (total energy, lattice
parameters, forces on atoms, whatever...) becomes stationary within an arbitrary range of values, let us say, for instance, 0.001 Ry in the case of
total energy. Of course there are common ranges of ecutwfc and ecutrho values usually suitable for a given kind of calculation, and they depend
(mainly) on the pseudopotentials used in such calculation. You *should not* perform plane-wave calculations if you don't know (possibly quite well)
what is a pseudopotential and which are the theoretical and practical differences between the ultrasoft, norm-conserving and PAW approaches. You may
start from this treasure "hidden" in the QE distribution :-)

YourEspresso/5.1/atomic/Doc/pseudo-gen.pdf

and from all the references cited therein.

HTH

Giuseppe