[Pw_forum] Fwd: Re: parameteres of quantum dots

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Mon Nov 24 11:34:57 CET 2014

Dear Pablo
It seems that you are attempting to perform complex calculations without
going through a proper training and without supervision. There are several
critical issues in your input file, and this forum is generally not intended for
training. I can only point out the bad mistakes, but you should take your
time to learn the hard way...

> I want to simulate the energies spectrum of CdSe Quantum Dots

What is it? Are you talking about optical absorption spectrum? Are you
aware of the difference between DFT and TD-DFT?

>      ibrav = 0,
> CELL_PARAMETERS {bohr}
>
>    32.5033024000     0.0000000000     0.0000000000
>    -16.2516512000    28.1486855853     0.0000000000
>      0.0000000000     0.0000000000    39.8082529177

why a monoclinic cell?

>      ecutwfc = 10.0,ecutrho = 80.0,

poorly unconverged plane wave basis set

> ATOMIC_POSITIONS  {bohr}

find attached an image representing your system, as obtained by opening
your input with xcrysden. There is clearly something wrong, and apart from
the position of H atoms, too close to the Cd and Se atoms, the structure
seems to be the right one. A hint: look for the options of
ATOMIC_POSITIONS in the pw.x manual.

>      occupations='smearing', smearing='marzari-vanderbilt',
degauss=0.05

Is your system a metal?

>      noncolin = .false.

useless

>     calculation='bands'

why do you need it?

HTH
Giuseppe

- Article premier - Les hommes naissent et demeurent
libres et ègaux en droits. Les distinctions sociales
ne peuvent être fondèes que sur l'utilitè commune
- Article 2 - Le but de toute association politique
est la conservation des droits naturels et
imprescriptibles de l'homme. Ces droits sont la libertè,
la propriètè, la sùretè et la rèsistance à l'oppression.

   Giuseppe Mattioli
   v. Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
   I 00015 - Monterotondo Stazione (RM)
   Tel + 39 06 90672836 - Fax +39 06 90672316
   http://www.ism.cnr.it/english/staff/mattiolig
   ResearcherID: F-6308-2012