[Pw_forum] About trust_radius

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Nov 11 18:26:08 CET 2014

well... bfgs does not do random moves but choose the search direction on
the basis of the forces and of the current estimate for the inverse
hessian matrix... as the system is typically not in a quadratic regime
(at least at the beginning) it does not trust the resulting step to its
full size but limits the move to a given trust_radium that is update
during the evolution starting from an initial value and limited to be
between a minimum and a maximum...
all these parametera can be set in input using the variables you are
referring to ...

stefano