[Pw_forum] ibrav7 doesn't show the structure of BaNi2As2 correctly

David Foster davidfoster751 at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 17:21:50 CEST 2014

Dear Tone and Giovanni

thank you for your helps. So, how can I correct crystal positions by using v1, v2, and v3?
Regards

David Foster

Ph.D. Student of Chemistry

 Subject: Re: [Pw_forum] ibrav7 doesn't show the structure of BaNi2As2 correctly
 To: "PWSCF Forum" <pw_forum at pwscf.org>
 Date: Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 7:28 AM

     Dear David,

       I think that the relative (crystal) coordinates that
 you write for
       the 5-atom cell are still expressed in terms of the
 conventional
       cell (the one with vectors (a,0,0), (0,a,0), (0,0,c).
 This is the
       cell used in the case ibrav=14, reason for which you
 get the
       correct structure.

       Instead, the cell used in ibrav=7 is the primitive one
 - the docs
       say:

       v1=(a/2)(1,-1,c/a),  v2=(a/2)(1,1,c/a),
 v3=(a/2)(-1,-1,c/a)

       Therefore you have to express the relative (crystal)
 coordinates
       with respect to this basis set, and not in terms of
 the lattice
       vectors of the conventional cell.

       Best,

       Giovanni Pizzi