[Pw_forum] Two questions on a La2O3 slab: (1) inconsistent energy results; (2) "maximum number of steps has been reached"

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Tue May 13 10:59:42 CEST 2014

Quick answer: if you do not have a huge dipole moment in the z direction and you put enough vacuum between periodically repeated images of the slab
along z, you can perform a periodic calculation without using any electrostatic correction to the potential. This is what most people usually do.

There is also a post-processing tool which averages potentials along z (see yourQE/PP/examples/WorkFct_example). You may check that the calculated
average is flat in the middle of the vacuum region. In the case of a large dipole, you can also apply a sawtooth dipole correction (with the "tooth" in
the middle of the vacuum region), as detailed in yourQE/PP/examples/dipole_example.

HTH

Giuseppe