[Pw_forum] QE-GIPAW capabilities

Davide Ceresoli davide.ceresoli at istm.cnr.it
Mon Jun 23 10:49:39 CEST 2014

Dear Kris,
     the orbital shift for metals is in 5.1 and in the SVN. You can try
it on your systems, and it would be great if you report how slow is
the convergence w.r.t. k-points, and if you find any difference
between the smearing methods.

To appreciate the problem, I've attached the convergence of chemical
shift, and orbital susceptibility of Al-fcc as a function of 1/n_k.
The Fermi-Dirac smearing appears to converge faster (e.g. the f-sum
rule is very close to -3), but the susceptibility (chi_bare_pGv) is
negative or vanishing. The bare and para contribution to the chemical
shift of 27Al are very dependent of smearing. Comparing to PARATEC,
I've found that MV and GAUSS smearing are correct for the orbital shift,
but the susceptibility is wrong by orders of magnitude.

Beware, even if there is only one atom, these calculations run for
several hours!

Good luck and let us know! In the meanwhile I'll work on the Knight
shift.

Best,
     Davide