[Pw_forum] GaAs: band gap with HSE is too large

Jerónimo Peralta jeronimop02 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 16:13:21 CEST 2014

Dear all,

I'm using HSE to study bulk GaAs, but even with the parameters cited in the
literature  (number of k points, exx_fraction=0.35, lattice
parameters=10.77, ecutwfc=50 Ry, etc) I'm not able to reproduce the
bandgap. It should give ~1.43 eV.

I'm getting a very large value ~ 3 eV.  Even with smaller values of
exx_fraction =0.15, the gap is still too large. I've tested different norm
conserving PBE pseudopotentials, k point convergence (up to 8x8x8), energy
cutoff convergence, but this discrepancy persists.

I'm computing the DOS directly from a scf run, and it gives ok except for
the value of gap. I would be very grateful if someone has any idea or
information on this. Cheers,

Jeronimo.

-------------------------

A typical input file is: