[Pw_forum] Using Intel Fortran, C++ complier- parallel, serial versions - reg.,

Muthu V muthu.physicsmath at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 18:42:10 CEST 2014

Dear users
usually i install QE by installing FFTW lib and Fortran complier.
everything goes fine with serial and parallel installation of QE.

but i heard that  using intel C++, fortran (ifort, icc ) compliers for
intel core(i am using intel i5 core)  improves performance so i decided to
install above two for this i used *Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux*
<https://registrationcenter.intel.com/RegCenter/NComForm.aspx?ProductID=1540>
intel non-commerial package which includes C++,  fortran compliers and  mkl
lib.

Here i faced problem in configuring QE. i did this without installing *mpich2.
*all process goes fine no problem i got serial version QE. but if i try with*
mpich2, *pre-installed before QE configuration, i got the following error
message and configuration stops.

slave2 at slave2:~/espresso-5.0.1$ ./configure
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking architecture... x86_64
checking for ifort... ifort
configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet
checking whether the Fortran compiler works... yes
checking for Fortran compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... yes
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran compiler... no
checking whether ifort accepts -g... yes
checking for Fortran flag to compile .f90 files... none
checking for mpif90... mpif90
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran compiler... no
checking whether mpif90 accepts -g... no
checking version of mpif90... unknown, assuming gfortran

*configure: WARNING: parallel compiler mpif90 uses gfortran, but serial
compiler ifort was detectedconfigure: WARNING: assuming F90=gfortran,
discarding ifort*
setting F90... gfortran
setting MPIF90... mpif90
checking for cc... cc
checking whether cc accepts -g... yes
checking for cc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
setting CC... cc
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking size of int *... 8
checking malloc.h usability... yes
checking malloc.h presence... yes
checking for malloc.h... yes
checking for struct mallinfo.arena... yes
checking for gfortran... no
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
checking whether  accepts -g... no
setting F77...
using F90... gfortran
setting FFLAGS... -O3 -g
setting F90FLAGS... $(FFLAGS) -x f95-cpp-input
setting FFLAGS_NOOPT... -O0 -g
setting CFLAGS... -O3
setting CPP... cpp
setting CPPFLAGS... -P -traditional
setting LD... mpif90
setting LDFLAGS... -g
setting AR... ar
setting ARFLAGS... ruv
checking whether Fortran files must be preprocessed... no
checking how to get verbose linking output from ... configure: WARNING:
compilation failed

checking for Fortran 77 libraries of ...
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran 77 libraries... none
checking for Fortran 77 name-mangling scheme... configure: error: in
`/home/slave2/espresso-5.0.1':
configure: error: cannot compile a simple Fortran program
See `config.log' for more details.
slave2 at slave2:~/espresso-5.0.1$

 anybody can help me in fixing this issue. ie i want icc, ifort complier (
as these improves performance) along with parallel version QE ie with
mpich2 ( which requires gfortran complier, according to error message )

any help will be appreciated
thank you in advance

​Muthu.V
Project Fellow