[Pw_forum] Question on SCF

Paolo Giannozzi paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
Fri Jan 24 10:44:21 CET 2014

If after the first 10, max 20 steps or so, the value of the
"estimated scf accuracy" does not show any sign of decreasing,
something nasty is happening. There is no point in insisting
with more iteractions: either input data is wrong, or the system
cannot find a sensible ground state for the structure it has,
with the constraints you are (implicitly) imposing. Since I do
not see anything obviously wrong in your data, the second case
is likely the correct one. Your system, containing magnetic
atoms, highly correlated electrons, an oxygen vacancy, seems
to me a good candidate as multiple source of trouble

> I just want to speed it up

make tests at Gamma point (K_POINT gamma), reduce the number of
bands to the strict minimum (200 should be fine)

P.
--
 Paolo Giannozzi, Dept. Chemistry&Physics&Environment,
 Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222