[Pw_forum] dynamical matrix units

Federico Gallino Federico_Gallino at saes-group.com
Wed Jan 15 19:12:27 CET 2014

Dear All,

I refer to a previous topic concerning "units in dynamical matrix files".

Checking by hands the diagonalization of the dynamical matrix (after dividing by the sqrt
of masses) by the normalized eigenvectors (provided in the .dyn output) I get a factor of
0.0625 (i.e. 2pi*1.D-2) between the diagonalised matrix and the eigenvalues (Ry units)
provided in .dyn output (e.g. see phonon example 1 for C and Si). Could anyone kindly
clarify this point?
Thanking in advance.

best regards,

Federico Gallino

Dr. Federico Gallino, Ph.D. SAES Getters S.p.A.
Computational Material Scientist
Advanced Computing & Software Development

Viale Italia, 77
20020 Lainate - MI - ITALY
Tel. +39 02 93178316
Fax +39 02 93178460
federico_gallino at saes-group.com
www.saesgetters.com

This message and any attachments are confidential, privileged and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s).
Any unauthorized review, use, reproduction, disclosure, modification and/or dissemination is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying immediately to this message.
Do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.