[Pw_forum] spin polarization of a organo-metallic compound

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Sat Jan 4 00:12:22 CET 2014

Dear Jia
One last (at least for now...) word, which perhaps deserves to be
written. Let us focus on excess electrons in transition metal oxides
(only because I've studied them for long). If you create an O vacancy
in Ti(IV)O2 the missing O atom lets back two excess electrons. If you
perform a conventional DFT (i.e., PBE) calculation the two excess
electrons are delocalized in the conduction band and the total
magnetization is 0 muB. Here the delocalization (self interaction,
double counting, ...) error spread "little pieces of electron" around
all the supercell. Both EXX and DFT+U methods localize the electrons
on two Ti(III) sites neighbouring the missing O because they tend to
linearize the E(N) vs N curve and, therefore, to create a (correct)
derivative discontinuity at integer N values in the E(N) curve. They
also can provide high-spin solutions, and in this regard you are
right: the correction of delocalization errors by EXX can provide high
spin results. Regarding the O vacancy, my DFT+U result is a supercell
with two unpaired electrons on the two Ti(III) sites. They can be
antiferromagnetically (S=1) or ferromagnetically (S=3) coupled,
slightly depending on U values, convergence, ...: in chemical language
they have therefore always the highest multiplicity of electrons, and
the high-spin and broken-symmetry solutions are very close in energy,
so close that I'm not really sure about the lowest one, because I've
not pushed down the forces on nuclei at very very low values. There
are several papers by Pacchioni, Di Valentin and Selloni where the O
vacancy has been investigated by using B3LYP in a periodic GTO
approach. Of course I've not got them here with me, but I (faintly)
remember that the low-spin solution (two electrons coupled on the same
Kohn-Sham orbital shared between the same two Ti(III) centers) was
competitive in energy with the open-shell one far more than in my
DFT+U calculations, and this fact involves the static correlation
problem discussed before. The differences between the DFT+U and B3LYP
total density distributions were minimal, so which is the "correct"
solution? In my opinion these problems are among the most interesting
challenges for dft, and I would be very glad to test some mp2 trick on
correlation like B2PLYP in plane wave calculations...
Sorry for the long answers, and Happy New Year to you!
G.

Giuseppe Mattioli
ISM-CNR
Italy