[Pw_forum] Fwd: Phonon dispersion from using matdyn.x

Vincenzo Verdolino vincenzo.verdolino at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 20:57:44 CEST 2014

Hi Ankit Jain,

Germanium
 &inputph
  tr2_ph=1.0d-18
  ldisp=.true.
  nq1=10
  nq2=10
  nq3=1
  prefix='GEPH_dfpt'
  outdir='/scratch'
  fildyn='./dfpt_10x/ge.dyn'
 /

this activate a dispersive phonon calculation. If you switch the ldisp flag
to .false. , if you unset nq1, nq2 and nq3 (you just neglect those) and if
you specify q1 q2 and q3 at the very end of the input file (after the final
slash /) you can calculate the frequencies at that q point. Ex.

Germanium
 &inputph
  tr2_ph=1.0d-18
  prefix='GEPH_dfpt'
  outdir='/scratch'
  fildyn='./dfpt_10x/ge.dyn'
 /
1.0 0.0 0.0

I suggest you to pick one q point where you found imaginary frequencies
(from your frequencies output file) and just run ph.x < ph.in on it.

However I have to tell you that I am not familiar with phonon calculation
on surfaces which I believe it's what you are doing right now. Am I
correct? i see that your cell is stretched along "z" and you k-sampling is
highly non-homogeneous. This may dramatically effects your phonon
calculation. One last thing...did you relax through a vc-relax job or is
that a pseudo-crystal experimental structure?