[Pw_forum] ph - computational errors in vicinity of gamma point

Gabriele Sclauzero gabriele.sclauzero at mat.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 20 10:36:38 CEST 2014

Dear Alexander,

On 08/19/2014 05:08 PM, Kvasov Alexander wrote:

> Dear developers,
>
> I study flexoelectric effect which can be seen as a repulsion of TA
> and TO branches in the vicinity of gamma point. I calculate phonon
> dispersion of cubic SrTiO3. It’s essential for me to have adequate
> picture of phonons in the vicinity of gamma point (at least for q>0.05).
>
> The picture shows TA and TO branches single q-point (st.ph.single.in)
> calculations (grey dots) and dispersion (st.ph.disp.in) for 8x8x8 mesh.
>
> With used parameters ph.x fails to give right values for small values
> of q-vector.

What are the "right values" you were expecting? Probably you know this
already, but within PBE (probably also LDA) SrTiO3 displays a
ferroelectric instability at the theoretical lattice constant, which
triggers the imaginary frequency at Gamma. This is an artifact of the
approximate functional. You might get rid of that by changing the volume
(I don't remember in which direction, hopefully toward the experimental
value...), or using some other functional.

HTH

GS

--
Dr. Gabriele Sclauzero