[Pw_forum] Biaxial Strain Silicon

Cameron Foss cjfoss at umass.edu
Thu Aug 14 23:19:04 CEST 2014

Hello all,

I am trying to study phonons in silicon under biaxial strain, which occurs
when you grow thin films of silicon over a germanium(or SiGe) bulk, which
has a slightly larger lattice constant than silicon, thus stretching the
silicon out. This type of procedure stretches silicon in the xy directions
and slightly compresses it in the z direction. This consequently distorts
the symmetry of the crystal.

I have ran some strained cases; in which I "strain" the crystal by changing
the lattice vectors in the CELL_PARAMETERS CARD