[Pw_forum] tpss: too many bands are not converged

Yves Ferro yves.ferro at univ-amu.fr
Thu Apr 24 14:18:10 CEST 2014

Dear Davide,

Mete-GGA functional such as TPSS are known to have convergency problems and numerical instabilities during scf cycles, specifically when the unit-cell contains a lot of free volume, such as in your case probably.
You can try to decrease the size of the unit-cell in order to minimize the free space it contains. Of course, this will be at the expense of the inter-polyemer interaction you probably want to avoid.

Nevertheless, this will probably not cure your problem, which to my knowledge has no other solution than changing the meta-GGA functional to a GGA one.
Best regards,

Yves