[Pw_forum] Error in making NEB movie

Mitul Mundra mitulm at iitk.ac.in
Sat Apr 5 07:44:56 CEST 2014

Dear QE users,

I am trying to make a .avi movie of my NEB calculation. I have installed
Xcrysden and mencoder on my computer. For making the movie, I open the AXSF
file in Xcrysden, set delay between slides as 2000 m sec and then click on
Start Recording Animated-Gif/Mpeg followed by an immediate click on 'play
forward button'. When the transition from Slide 1 to Slide 7 is complete( I
have 7 images in my NEB), I stop the recording and then save the movie in
.avi format. On doing so, I get the following message.

/usr/bin/mencoder mf:// -mf fps=10.0 -o /home/mitul/Desktop/movie.avi -ovc
lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4

I save and close the movie and in doing so, I encounter the following error.

MEncoder svn r34540 (Ubuntu), built with gcc-4.7 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
success: format: 16  data: 0x0 - 0x0
MF file format detected.
[mf] search expr: *
[mf] number of files: 15 (60)
*[demux_mf] file type was not set! trying 'type=axsf'...*
*[demux_mf] unknown input file type.*

Exiting...
child process exited abnormally

Can anyone please help me out to sort out the issue?

Thanks
Mitul Mundra
Final Year Dual Degree Student
Department of Chemical Engineering