[Pw_forum] Au (111) Surface Energy

Jack Davis JXD231 at bham.ac.uk
Fri Nov 15 14:53:03 CET 2013

Dear Forum,

I’m trying to calculate surface energies using PWscf, however, I am unsure of the methodology. To begin with we calculate the bulk energy of the FCC unit cell, using the attached input. We then calculate the energy of a 111 slab, 10 layers thick with a 6 atom vacuum gap. The surface energy is then calculated as,

Surface energy = Energy of slab - (bulk energy * 10) / 2.

I think I am probably misunderstanding the energies PWscf is giving me. We’re getting some strange answers!

Thank you,
Jack Davis

School of Chemistry
University of Birmingham