[Pw_forum] Occupation tag for isolated atom for a magnetic system

Mudra Dave mdave_phy at yahoo.in
Fri Nov 15 13:01:47 CET 2013

Dear QE users,
I have doubt regarding smearing and degauss value for magnetic system.
By refering old post of forum i got that degauss value is very important
for a magnetic system and specially when calculation is performed for
single atom.
1.In the
example11 for single Al , occupation = "from input'' is used. I am
unbale to understand how to decide occupancy values from electron
configuration? is it related to degenrecy of particular orbit?

2.I read in some post that,setting correct degauss is very important and to cheack convergence one may check smearing contribution in final energy
zero. Is this one check parameter to check ground state?
3.For convergence issue i read if highest occupied and lowest unoccupied
states if keep changing places,convergence can not be obtained, this can be solved by
''adding few empty bands AND a small broading'' . Is this refering to
occupation tag?

Can we choose for occupation tag ,either of ''from input'' and ''smearing'' option, are they both equivalently apt? specially for transition metal
magnetic system? And for single atom calculation?

Any suggestion or help for getting clarity i highly appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

Mudra R Dave
Junior Research Fellow
Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics Group,
M S University of Baroda,
Vadodara,Gujarat.