[Pw_forum] Operating system error: Cannot allocate memory

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 16:27:28 CET 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Chan, Eric <Eric.Chan at bms.com> wrote:
> Hello.

> In an attempt to do geometry optimization for a molecular crystal
>
> and using a simple script to screen possible ecutwfc values. Prior to
> relaxation.
>

> For cygwin installation  compiling using :
>

> ./configure ARCH=cygwin
>
> make all
>

> running pw.x in serial mode.
>

> get memory allocation errors for systems with larger ecutwfc values..

that usually is an indication that you are running out of address
space. is your cygwin environment 32-bit or 64-bit?
probably 32bit, right? and then you are limited in your total address
space. having more RAM doesn't help much.

> this did not occur for the same executables compiled on my linux redhat
> system (which has less memory and slower cores)
>
> the calcualtions will run but they take much longer.
>

> this means I cannot screen the values properly (or do a proper calculation)
> using the windows machine (this actually has more memory and more cores).

if you are like some adventure and giving debugging feedback, i have
some precompiled installer packages for 32-bit and 64-bit windows with
and without MPI. please contact me off-list, if you are interested to
give it a shot and i'll send you the URL with the download and
installation info.

axel.

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey at gmail.com  http://goo.gl/1wk0